June 3, 2009

Google Sites with Gadgets for Project Management

I know this isn't strictly speaking geospatial, however, I am called upon to provide project management services on a fairly regular basis and I believe any GIS manager, consultant or technician will have to do this from time to time. I have recently been re-introduced to Google Sites as a viable tool for this purpose. My most recent discovery was of a Google Gadget by Viewpath simply called Gantt Chart. This cool little gadget lets you create a work schedule that can be used to create a very nice little Gantt chart. (see the YouTube vid at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGwXQryI2-A).

On top of the gadgets there are lots of resources on Google Sites to add lists, documents, presentations, files and much more. I was recently awarded a development project that is estimated to last 2 1/2 to 3 months and I was able to develop a PM site for it in about an hour. Now there is an ongoing conduit for all players to collaborate, communicate and share. And with the sharing capabilities it is easy to keep the project information private.

I suggest anyone who is taking on projects check out the capabilities of Google Sites.

1 comment:

Sqiar said...

Thanks for the post, In this complex environment business need to present there company data in meaningful way.So user easily understand it .Sqiar (http://www.sqiar.com/tableau-desktop-connect-to-data/) which is in UK,provide services like Tableau and Data Warehousing etc .In these services sqiar experts convert company data into meaningful way.