January 4, 2009

Geospatial in 2009

Well we're four days into 2009 and I guess it's time to look at what we can expect in the geospatial world. So, on this line, here are a few of the titles and technologies I have recently discovered or re-discovered for the New Year.

Depiction - a compact desktop application that gives the user easy download access to freely available public data and provides some tools for developing scenarios such as emergency response. Currently this application only gives access to

GeoNetwork - this is kind of a re-discovery for me. "GeoNetwork opensource is a standards based, Free and Open Source catalog application to manage spatially referenced resources through the web". I believe this application is crutial when trying to manage data in an enterprise environment. I allows the user to upload, catelog and metatag geospatial data sets. I think it's worth a first look if you haven't already and a second look if you have.

Google Maps Mobile - this little mobile API is a great little bit of code that enables smartphones to access google maps and derive the users current location with or without GPS. I use this little app frequently when I travel.

These are just a few of my favs for 2009. Let me know if you have any that are must see or must have for the New Year.

No comments: